From multi-million dollar corporations to smaller businesses — financial restructuring and insolvency can pose significant challenges. Our expertise lies in providing strategic advice to distressed businesses to keep them functioning and achieving the maximum possible return on their investments. Regardless of the complexity of the insolvency and restructuring matters, we are committed to providing detailed advice by carefully analyzing the intricacies of business, financial, and legal issues involved.
Our lawyers are focused on minimizing the complexities that restructuring and insolvency cases typically pose. Our lawyers have worked on some of the most complex restructuring matters in the region and won accolades. We bring a wealth of knowledge to advise a wide variety of clients on all aspects of restructuring and insolvency.
The team is highly valued and recognized as one of the region’s leading practices for both contentious and non-contentious restructuring and insolvency matters. We have an impressive record of advising lenders, fund and trustees, companies, creditors’ committees, investors, banks and financial institutions, government bodies, scheme managers, liquidators, and liquidators on all aspects of restructuring and bankruptcy matters.
Specifically, our sectoral experience includes:
- Financial services;
- Shipping laws;
- Oil & gas;
- Pharmaceuticals & healthcare;
- Real estate; and
- Technology and Telecommunications
With respect to restructurings, we have advised on securitizations, moratoriums, standstills, rescheduling of debt, various types of capital restructuring, corporate finance and corporate restructurings, etc. For insolvency, we have experience handling litigation related to creditor claims, cross-border asset recovery, and other proceedings. We also have the ability to take advantage of our comprehensive network of lawyers from other practice areas to address issues that may arise during restructuring or insolvency exercises.
We have the unique ability to provide commercially oriented solutions that overcome legal hurdles and preserve value for our clients. We excel in delivering high-quality legal advice on a broad range of matters, including contingency planning, debt rescheduling, restructuring, distresses sales, insolvency proceedings, refinancing of stressed assets, and distressed debt trading. If litigation becomes essential to bring the restructuring or insolvency plan to fruition, we develop a relevant litigation strategy to ensure maximum recoveries.
Our potential to constantly innovate also makes us an industry leader. We never approach restructuring and insolvency matters with a one-size-fits-all approach. We strive to collaborate with our clients and work out the restructuring plans customized to their unique needs.
Notable cases include:
- Advised liquidators of an oil and gas company to investigate the affairs of the company to prepare, consolidate and file claims against directors for breach of director’s duties, fraudulent trading, insolvent trading, negligence of directors for USD 3 million;
- Advised creditors on the recovery of claims from an alleged Ponzi scheme;
- Advised the liquidator and filed a USD 136 million claim into the Singapore High Court against the directors of the company and related parties for breaches of fiduciary duties, undue preference, insolvent trading, and conspiracy claims;
- Advised the liquidator on the liquidation of Castlewood Group Ptd Ltd., where the investors lost investments worth USD 80 million.